TLC's courses are individual, practical, efficient.
We help you achieve your individual objectives!
- TLC's mission is to be the best language provider for goal-oriented learners in German-speaking Switzerland.
- The school concentrates on providing high-quality language training in-house for companies and for private individuals in our own school premises in Baden and Birr.
- TLC teaches English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Chinese and Japanese. TLC courses aim to be individual, practical and efficient.
- We also strive to be the leading provider of teacher training for language teachers in German-speaking Switzerland.
- Quality is a key TLC value and the motor of all our processes and developments. The school and its services are accredited by the international quality labels International House and Eaquals (Evaluation & Accreditation of Quality in Language Services) and eduQua (the Swiss SQS quality label for educational institutions). Quality assurance is seen as an on-going process.
- TLC is a private, staff-owned school. Staff are encouraged to become shareholders.
- It is a TLC value to have a committed team who enjoy working together and sharing ideas and are interested in their own further training and development.
- Social responsibility, transparency and fairness are important to us and are reflected in our dealings with our customers, staff, suppliers and the community.
- We strive to run an environmentally responsible and sustainable business.
Quality is a key value at TLC and the motor behind all developments and processes. Customer satisfaction and learning success are integral parts of this.
TLC's quality is externally confirmed and driven by 3 separate certification bodies: Eaquals, eduQua, International House. On top of this we have stringent internal quality assurance from A to Z focusing on the classes, the recruitment, the processes.
Quality and the classes
- Careful entrance testing online plus interview or trial lesson
- Needs analysis in all focus or company courses in the 1st lesson or beforehand
- Customized course plan for all courses by 3rd lesson. Students get copy.
- Mini feedback after 4 or 5 lessons for all new classes / new teachers
- Regular informal feedback by teacher
- Continual assessment and progress tests
- End-of level tests according to European Reference Framework (CEFR)
- TLC/ EAQUALS Certificates, in between stickers in the training booklet
Quality and the processes
- Regular observations of trainers by academic manager / dept. heads
- Regular customer feedback rounds with analysis, actions and development goals
- Opportunity for spontaneous feedback from customers
- Annual appraisal interviews with each trainer with T & D goals
- Focus groups of customers on specific issues
- Re-registration statistics of classes / trainers
- Attendance records checked and followed up on
- Strict complaint procedure if necessary ending in a change of teacher
Quality and recruitment
TLC employs only top-qualified, professional language trainers to teach their mother-tongue. Our customers learn real language AND culture - effectively.
- Pre-check : Qualified native speakers / University Edu. / Training as FLT incl. business LT / Experience
- Interview: Social competences / enthusiastic attitude
- Trial lesson before contract
- Probation with mentoring, observations, customer feedback
Eaquals Inspectors' conclusion:
TLC International House Zurich - Baden was inspected by Eaquals in November 2014 and met the high standards required for Eaquals accreditation. The teaching, the course programmes, as well as the course organisation, the learning resources, testing and evaluation were all judged to be of high quality. It was found that the institution takes great care to protect the welfare of its clients and staff, and all publicity materials produced by the institution are accurate and truthful.
The Inspectors identified points of excellence in the following categories:
1. Management and Administration
3. Course Design and Supporting Systems
5. Academic Resources
6. Learning Environment
8. Quality assurance
9. Staff Profile and Development
10. Staff Employment Terms
11. Internal Communications
(Eaquals, Nov 2014)
Our teaching methods and styles are based on the following principles:
- We teach languages in a way that is suitable for adults, using a large variety of methods to meet the needs of the student’s different learning styles, experiences and preferences.
- Learning by doing, for example, practicing using new language in realistic activities. The teaching is student-centred. To ensure that each student gets the maximum of active practice, our groups are small and we include pair or small group activities.
- People learn faster and more effectively being taught from the beginning in the target language - except in emergencies.
- All language skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) plus grammar and vocabulary are taught.
- Mother-tongue teachers bring you closer to the culture and life of your target language.
- Outside of the classroom we offer professional advice and individual support.
- You learn language for life, not just for school. We support you with learning tips and materials to help you learn independently.
- We have a philosphy of Life Long Learning at TLC and support our staff in this. This is part of staying mentally fit, motivated and interested.
1988 ABB Language School established to teach E, D, F, Sp to company employees
1994 TLC- The Language Company established through a management buyout by
21 shareholders-Teachers. TLC has school premises in Baden, ZH-Oerlikon and Birr
1995 TLC wins its first in-company customer - Paul Scherrer Institute
2001 Quality certified by Eaquals, the stringent European quality label for language
schools. Purchase of building in Bahnhofstrasse, Baden
2002 Quality certified by eduQua & Institute Cervantes
2004 Closure of branch in ZH-Oerlikon. Zürich classes continue in-house
2006 Exam center for the Cervantes DELE Exams
2007 Teaching training activities opened to external teachers. Cert. TEB (now cert. IBET from Trinity College London)
2008 Cambridge Teacher Training Certificate - CELTA - is successfully introduced
2010 Cambridge Teacher Training Diploma - Delta - is successfully introduced